A former Hamlin Township employee who prompted a standoff with police Sunday night was arraigned Wednesday before District Judge David Engman.

Todd Stahli, 46, of 145 Dewey Ave., is charged with theft by unlawful taking, a first-degree misdemeanor, and resisting arrest, a second-degree misdemeanor.

According to court records, the allegations began when Stahli, who worked at the township building, stopped showing up for work for about a week, and items started going missing from the township building. The missing items included a Stihl weedeater.

Stahli still had a key to the building, and police were investigating the assertion that he took items when they went to his residence, the criminal complaint stated.

At the home, Lewis Run-based state police observed Stahli inside, as well as a Stihl weedeater sitting on the floor, but he refused to come to the door, according to the complaint.

District Judge William Todd signed a search warrant so law enforcement could search the home and arrest Stahli for active warrants.

A state police Special Emergency Response Team (SERT) was brought in and worked for four hours trying to get Stahli from the home, using tear gas before he finally exited, the complaint stated.

State police reported that it was around 8:40 p.m. Sunday when police first responded to the home, and it was 7 a.m. Monday when Stahli was taken into custody.

Police noted Stahli was arrested on a parole warrant but did not say what prompted the warrant.

Court records indicate that Stahli is still under supervision for an Elk County case in which he was sentenced Oct. 4, 2004, to eight to 16 years in state prison for charges of burglary and aggravated assault. The online court docket states the incident occurred July 8, 2003, in Johnsonburg Borough.

Additionally, he owes payments for two later Elk County cases, court records indicate.

On Wednesday, bail in the new case was set for $25,000, and he was remanded to jail. A Central Court date is set for June 20.