Bradford Township Volunteer Fire Department was dispatched to the Sport and Fitness Center at the University of Pittsburgh at Bradford at 12:21 p.m. Thursday after a fire alarm was activated by smoke in the building.
Engines 151 and 153 responded to the scene. Upon arrival of engine 151, campus maintenance staff informed emergency responders that there was a potential active fire in the laundry room.
“The crew from engine 151 made entry to the building to meet campus police who had secured the door to the fire room, in an effort to control the possible active fire,” noted the Bradford Township VFD on its Facebook page. “Upon entry to the fire room, members were able to utilize a water can to extinguish the smoldering fire in a dryer.”
After the fire was extinguished, positive pressure ventilation was performed to help clear the smoke out of the building. Assistant Chief Bob Eliason had command, while Station 1 was on standby at their station. Fire crews were on the scene for one hour.
Bradford Township VFD expressed their gratitude to the campus police and maintenance department in their assistance in controlling the situation.
Equally thankful was university spokeswoman, Pat Frantz Cercone.
“We are very grateful to our colleagues in the Richard E. and Ruth McDowell Sport and Fitness Center and in the facilities management office, as well as our friends with the Bradford Township Volunteer Fire Department for responding so quickly and appropriately,” she said. “Because of their actions, the fire was extinguished quickly, no one was hurt, and the building was closed only for an hour.”