MAYORS: Remember a few months back when we were sharing historical information on Bradford’s former mayors?
We thought we’d share a few more today.
According to the Bradford Landmark Society, this information was put together by the late Larry Richmond.
From 1896 to 1898, the Hon. George C. Fagnan held the office of mayor.
“He was a popular mayor with a famous nickname,” Larry wrote. That nickname? George deFag. His friends gave him an ivory gavel with nickname his engraved in it when he became mayor.
He also worked as a druggist and and served as McKean County treasurer. He called 75 Kennedy St. home — the same address that is now the Mascho Funeral Home — and he had a wife, Elizabeth, and pianist daughter, Mary.
The next mayor was oil producer Joseph Greenwald, who served from 1899 to 1901.
Joseph wore many hats, in fact, such as secretary and treasurer of the Bradford Chemical Co., a director of the Bradford Hospital and treasurer of the Bradford Board of Trade. He and wife Matilda lived at 11 Chautauqua Place.
There are a lot oil producers on the mayoral list, including the next mayor.
We confess, when we heard the name George H. Potter, all we could think of was an amalgamation of the protagonist and the antagonist from “It’s a Wonderful Life.”
However, George H. Potter served as mayor long before the Frank Capra film graced movie screens, from 1902 to 1904.
Like Joseph Greenwald, George served as a director of the Bradford Hospital. George was also president of the Bradford Electric Light and Power Co. and vice president of the Lewis Run Pressed Brick Co. He had a wife, Elizabeth, and a daughter, Louise.
From 1905 to 1907, physician, surgeon and Bradford Board of Health president Fred W. Winger was mayor. His office was at 34 Main St.
Fred and his wife, Nellie R., lived at 22 Bushnell St.
It’s been so long since we’ve written about these mayors, we hope we picked up right where we left off ...