Courthouse Evacuated

McKean County Courthouse employees stand outside the building on Wednesday, after smoke from a small fire on the first floor of the courthouse forced an evacuation of the building for a brief time. The fire was traced to a faulty transformer, officials said.

SMETHPORT — Smoke from a small fire on the first floor of the McKean County Courthouse in Smethport forced an evacuation of the building for a brief time Wednesday morning.

Lt. Tom Field of the Smethport Fire Department said the fire was traced to a faulty transformer. Though the fire was soon extinguished, there was smoke on the first floor and in the large courtroom. Firemen used positive pressure fans to clear the smoke from the historic brick structure.

The department responded with two trucks and seven men.

Personnel from the McKean County Emergency Agency also answered the call that came in about 9 a.m.

EMA director Bruce Manning told The Era that he was at the courthouse before the volunteers arrived and turned over command to the Smethport department upon its arrival.

Firemen were in service for approximately a half-hour.

Loading...
Loading...